Another one from Breaking the Food Seduction by Dr. Neal Barnard. This stuff is good AND vegan, and it's not too difficult to make!
- Ready In:
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch chunks
- 2 2 cups water or 2 cups flat beer
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, finely crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups white beans
- 2 cups seitan, chunks
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- Combine carrots, broth (or water, or beer), celery, rosemary, and bay leaves in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet.
- When hot add onion and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and mix well.
- Then gradually stir in water and mix vigorously until sauce is smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- When vegetables are tender, stir in onion mixture and mix well.
- Stir in beans, seitan, and tamari.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly, then reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer stew about 5 min until sauce thickens and the beans and seitan are hot.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Season with salt and papper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION