Sear, Braise and Glaze Boneless Ribs
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 2 lbs beef chuck boneless short ribs
- 1⁄4 cup dry rub seasonings, of choice (I used Jamaican Jerk Seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery, rough chopped
- 1 carrot, rough chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, wiped clean
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup hot beef broth
- 1 -2 cup guinness beer
- 3 sprigs fresh herbs, like thyme, oregano, lovage, parsley, bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Generously season the meat with the dry rub. Place in a ziplock bag and refrigerate over night.
- Seared on searing element but you can sear over Medium high direct heat. Just to brown, char, mark the meat. Remove to plate, set aside.
- In a prepared pot over direct heat. I used my trusty cast iron Dutch oven.
- Pour olive oil or fat of your choice. When hot add mushrooms carrots, onions, celery, of course garlic, and paste.
- Yes you can use any aromatic vegetables of choice. fennel would be a good choice. You can add potatoes, turnips, parsnips, or celery root for a complete meal. Stir all together.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- I then added hot beef broth bring it to a boil. Then place the ribs in the veggies nice a comfy.
- Move to indirect heat.
- Topped with herbs.
- Pour in more broth or Guinness just to come to top rim of meat to braise.
- Cover pot with lid, close grill.
- Cooking till tender about 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Transfer the ribs to a plate. At this point you can strain liquid and let sit to remove fat. My ribs were lean so I didn`t.
- Removed 1/8 cup braising liquid place into a bowl add and stir in glazing ingriednts. Adding more of the braising liquid if needed to make spreadable.
- Remove meat from pot and place on direct heat.
- Brush the mixture thinly on the ribs over medium direct heat. About 3 minutes adding more glaze then flip for 3 more minutes. Till sweet, shiny and dark.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!