- Ready In:
- 2 2 lbs cod or 2 lbs salmon
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream (I use cereal cream)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add raw fish and simmer 3 or 4 minutes. (longer if frozen).
- Remove fish.
- Dissolve chicken bouillon cubes in the cooking liquid. Pour into a two cup measure including any liquid from canned shellfish.
- In a sauce pan, heat butter, stir in the flour and cook several minutes.
- Gradually beat in the 2 cups of hot liquid. Continue to stir and cook until sauce thickens.
- Add cheddar cheese, cook and stir until well blended.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolks and cream, beat with a fork and add slowly to the sauce while stirring vigorously.
- Wash and slice mushrooms, cook in 1 tbsp butter.
- Add the mushrooms, worchestershire sauce, cayenne pepper and shellfish to the sauce. Taste carefully and add salt if required.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Pour mixture into 1 1/2 quart lightly greased casserole or individual scallop shells.
- Toss bread cubes in melted butter and sprinkle over top.
- Bake in the oven until bread cubes are golden. Approx 15 minute.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Retired, widowed and love to cook. I miss cooking for someone who use to appreciate it so much. Love the outdoors, gardening, hiking and anything near the water, kayaking, sitting on a beach, swimming etc. Hope to do some travelling, love making new friends and keeping in touch with old ones.