Scrambled Eggs with Spiced Mushrooms
This is a Faye Levy recipe from her weekly column in the Friday Jerusalem Post. This is a great breakfast meal for anyone, but especially for those who are Somersizing or on the Atkins (or any low carb) diet.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter (or a mixture of both)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 package small mushroom, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper or 1 pinch other hot red pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin.
- Saute, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned.
- Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and cayenne.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet with the mushrooms to low.
- Add the eggs and scramble them, stirring often, until they are set to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parsley.
- Taste, adjust seasoning, and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I skipped the oil, opting instead to just spray the pan; and I didn't feel like cutting up an onion, so I used onion powder. I replaced the eggs with All Whites, and used a small can of mushrooms instead of fresh. I didn't have Hungarian paprika, so I used deluxe paprika instead, though I don't know if that would make a difference in terms of flavor! The dish took on an interesting pinkish hue, but the taste was good. I think I'd be a bit less liberal with the parsley, though; I only used a pinch of it, but it felt like it overpowered the other spices. Thanks for posting!Reply