Scott's Vegetable Broth With Very Low Sodium
- Ready In:
- 9hrs 10mins
- 3 medium celery ribs, whole, with leaves, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 Spanish onions, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium green bell peppers, skin on, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf, shredded
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 8 black peppercorns
- 3 quarts water
- Place all the ingredients into a stockpot and simmer, partially covered, for 8 hours or overnight. Stir occasionally.
- Skim off any scum that appears. Cook it this way for 45 minutes. (If using a crockpot, cook on LOW for 8-12 hours and skim scum when done.).
- Remove the ingredients from the pot and strain the stock through cheesecloth or a cheesecloth-lined vegetable strainer or sieve. Throw out the solids.
- Simmer the strained stock until it reduces to about 8 cups.
- If making ahead, let cool and store in 2-cup freezer containers to approximate the volume of one can of soup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just picked up the same cookbook, which has a lot of great ideas for those who need a very low sodium diet. I don't know how it happened, but ended up with just 3 cups of broth at the end of the day (used crockpot and perhaps I did not put in enough water or just reduced too much??) I would reduce the celery next time, a bit too strong for my taste. But generally this is good and I know it will work well in soups in particular.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to eat yummy healthy foods!