Scottish Salmon With Herb Butter
Based on a recipe from Classic British. This recipe appears under the light lunches heading. The recipe intro says, “This is a delightfully simple way to serve salmon steaks. The dill, with lemon rind and juice, give a lovely piquancy to the butter but they do not overpower the delicate flavor of the fish.” The author suggests you can use other fresh herbs to flavor the butter such as mint, fennel, fronds, lemon balm, parsley or oregano instead of the dill.
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- butter, for greasing
- 4 salmon steaks
- 2 lemons, sliced and halved
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
- ground black pepper
- 16 new potatoes, boiled for serving alongside
- green salad
- In a small bowl, add butter, lemon rind and juice, chopped dill and seasoning and stir together with a fork until well blended. Place this herb butter on a piece of greaseproof paper and roll up, smoothing into a sausage shape. Twist the ends tightly; wrap in clear film and place in freezer for 20 minutes until firm.
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Prepare four squares of foil large enough to wrap salmon steaks in by greasing lightly. Place a salmon steak in the center of each one.
- Remove herb butter from freezer and allow to sit for a few minutes. With a sharp knife, slice butter into 8 rounds. Top each salmon steak with 2 rounds. Top the butter with a halved lemon slice and a sprig of dill.
- Lift up foil and crinkle edges together to seal. Place these packets on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, open packets and slide the contents on to warmed plates along with the juices.
- Serve hot, with new potatoes and a crisp green salad.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Sign me up amongst the lovers of this recipe. Yes, it's simple and what does that mean? The fish shines through with awesome flavour that hasn't been obscured by a gazillion ingredients. The herb butter is simply fabulous on the salmon. We are a family of salmon lovers and I will definitely make this recipe again soon. Thanks!Reply