Scottish Oatmeal Drop Scones
photo by BecR2400
- Ready In:
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 60 g margarine or 60 g butter
- 2 tablespoons treacle, golden syrup can be used as a substitute
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the oatmeal and sugar. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Using a saucepan or the microwave, gently melt the margarine and treacle together. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg and milk.
- Combine all ingredients. Mix well.
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto a hot greased frying pan. Cook each drop scone until browned underneath and bubbling on top. Turn the scone and cook the other side.
- Serve hot with butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Anything with oatmeal is a winner for me so I was very keen to try these and they were great - mine were a bit crumbly as I had to use some wholemeal flour as I ran out of white but then I added another egg to help with the binding and the end product was a delicious afternoon tea of quite a rustic type of pikelet - very very moreish too so thank-you **Jubes**
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Aussie Mum - gluten-free