School Days Peanut Butter Chews
- Ready In:
- 1 1 cup butter or 1 cup shortening, plus
- 2 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons shortening, plus
- 2 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peanut butter
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons very hot water
- Combine butter, sugars, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Mix, creaming well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add rolled oats and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
- Mix until well blended.
- Spread batter into a greased 12-by-18-inch cookie pan with sides.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Do not over-bake.
- For the glaze: Combine powdered sugar and peanut butter.
- Gradually add hot water.
- Spread glaze on warm Peanut Butter Chews.
- Cut while warm.
- Cookies will be of a chewy consistency.
Join The Conversation
Thank you BecR2400! Brings back so many good food memories working in cafeteria at Lindbergh Elementary in San Diego, CA, in the 6th grade! Went to school there from 1966-1972. Got tons of free food ! Just LOVE these bars, but did not have access to the recipe. Appreciate you finding and posting it here. Will have my wife bake some this Christmas. Yum, yum!
Yes, I believe this is the one. I graduated from Hoover High in San Diego in 1971 and contacted the school cafeteria for the recipe. I have since lost it, so this was nice to see someone else posted it. I made it and the only thing I would do is double the icing. It just wasn't quite enough to cover them. The recipe I had said you can either add oats or coconut. When I made them a long time ago; I added both. It makes them soooo chewy. This time I just followed your recipe and it was wonderful! Thanks so much. Sally