Scalloped Potatoes with Herbed Cheese
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 ounces herbed cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated swiss cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled,cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 5 med)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Butter 9-inch casserole dish.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour.
- Cook 2 or 3 minutes at medium heat without browning, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer gently 5 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, swiss cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Layer potatoes and butter sauce alternately in buttered dish, ending with sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I prepared these for an Easter dinner I was attending (and sacrificed a piece of my finger slicing the potatoes on a mandolin!)and really liked the look of the recipe. However, I was surprised to find the taste pretty bland for my taste. I also added a thinly sliced onion with the layers of sauce and potatoes and even that didn't add much zip. Thanks for posting, however.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook and so I am thrilled that I found recipezaar. I work as an educational assistant in a food school so I am around food all day long. I have four children, three of which have already flown the coop so to speak but I still have my 'baby' at home. (He's 21). I am lucky in that I have my summers off so I spend a lot of time trying new recipes and catching up on my reading. I also play soccer in a ladies league to stay in shape.