Scalloped Potatoes (Gluten Free W/Dairy Free Option)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 5 potatoes (fist-sized)
- 5 -7 green onions, sliced thin
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup ham, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons cream soup (powdered, see Gluten Free Cream Soup Base (Powdered))
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1 cup rice milk (I also have used something called MimicCreme that is a vegan sub. for dairy creams.) or 1 cup almond milk (I also have used something called MimicCreme that is a vegan sub. for dairy creams.)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 2 1/2-qt casserole.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes and place in the casserole.
- Add the green onions and toss to mix, seasoning with salt and pepper. If using ham, add it in with the onions.
- Sauce: In a medium saucepan, place the margarine and the soup base, blended with the 1/4 C water. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- This mixture will be as thick as canned cream soup. Add the milk and pour over the potatoes.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Au Gratin: Eliminate the ham, but add 1 C grated sharp cheddar cheese to the sauce before pouring it over the potatoes. If desired, top with 1/2 C buttered GF bread crumbs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a Christian wife and mother of 3 kids. Since my DH's high cholesterol, we've been eating better. I never used to like cooking. Since eating better, I've liked learning and preparing new recipes. My kids haven't reconciled themselves to the new eating yet. I grind my own grain and make all my own breads.?Working 2 hours a day in the local high school lunch room.??I am homeschooling my high schooler.? ?Also found out 1 child has multiple food allergies (wheat, dairy, tomato, chocolate, etc) and another is gluten sensitive. So, we just started (July 09) eating gluten and dairy free. I've been busy with getting our house market ready, even though it's not the best time for that.?