- Ready In:
- 6 -8 medium white potatoes, sliced thin (we use Russets)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- black pepper (about 2 tsp.)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, scalded
- Peel and slice potatoes. Layer 1/4 of the potatoes on the bottom of a greased 9x13 cassrole dish. Sprinkle 1 Tblsp. of flour, 1/2 teaspoons pepper, sprinkling of onion salt, 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoons oregano over potatoes. Add 1 Tblsp. buter. Arrange another layer of potatoes on top of previous layer. Add 1 Tblsp. flour, repeat seasonings and butter. Repeat with 3rd and 4th layers. On top of last layer, pour scalded milk. Cover and bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 60-70 minutes more. During the second baking, use the back of a spoon to push the top layer of potatoes down once or twice. Remove from oven when potatoes are cooked and allow to rest about 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This made very nice scalloped potatoes. I cut the recipe in half because there are only two of us, so maybe I messed up with the liquid because they weren't quite as creamy as we like, or maybe I should have used a waxier potato than the russets I used. Also, I don't have onion salt so I used onion powder, and then when the light finally went off %u2014 YE GODS, NO SALT %u2014 I had to yank them out of the oven after about 5 minutes and try to add salt. I'm making them again today, with some salt (!) and a bit more liquid and I'll bet they'll be even better. (DH ate up the leftovers for lunch the next day, so they certainly were tasty!)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg"> src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">