Scalloped Cabbage Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is our New Year's Day cabbage dish. My husband, who is not a cabbage lover, will actually eat this and ask for seconds.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 8 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1⁄2 cup dry seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook cabbage and carrots until crisp-tender.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat; saute onions until tender.
- Add in flour, salt, and pepper; stir and cook until bubbly.
- Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened.
- Drain cabbage and carrots; place half in a greased 2 1/2 to 3 quart baking dish.
- Top with half of the sauce.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese; repeat layers.
- In a smaller skillet, melt remainder of butter.
- Add bread crumbs, marjoram, and thyme.
- Cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender and bread crumb topping is browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made this for a dinner party & it was very well received. You're never sure if everyone likes cabbage but everyone really enjoyed this dish. You almost can't tell it's even cabbage. With the par-boiling of the cabbage/carrots, it make the casserole very tender. Used homemade seasoned bread crumbs & the marjoram/thyme added a nice flavour. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.Reply
This was easy and excellent, I made it for lunch with friends, as the vegetarian choice, and there was nothing left over! Its attractive, with the grated carrot, moist, cheesy and delicious. I made it a little ahead of time, and popped it into the oven after my guests arrived, I loved the breadcrumb topping! Definitely be making this again!Reply
see 10 more