- Ready In:
- 4hrs 50mins
For bechamel sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 slices firm white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, trimmed,then halved if large
- 2 slices onions (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb sea scallops, tough muscle removed from side of each if necessary,then rinsed and halved
- 1 ounce gruyere, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Make bechamel sauce: Cook onion in butter in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Add milk in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking.
- Add salt and white pepper, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Pour béchamel sieve into a bowl and cover surface with a round of wax paper.
- Make croquettes: Preheat oven to 350°F Tear bread into pieces and pulse in a food processor until reduced to fine crumbs.
- Spread 3/4 cup bread crumbs in a shallow baking pan (reserve remaining bread crumbs for coating) and bake, stirring occasionally, until dry but not golden, about 5 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a 1-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then cook mushrooms and onion with lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, covered, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms give off some liquid and onion is slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add scallops and enough water to just cover them, then bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture with a slotted spoon to processor, reserving liquid in pan.
- Add cheese and parsley sprigs to processor and pulse until all of mixture is minced, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Boil liquid in pan over high heat until reduced to about 2 tablespoons and stir together with 1/3 cup béchamel sauce, reserving leftover sauce for another use.
- Add to scallops, stirring gently, then fold in dried bread crumbs.
- Chill, covered, at least 4 hours.
- To form croquettes: Put flour, egg, and remaining (fresh) bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls and stir remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt and pepper into crumbs.
- Roll level tablespoons of scallop mixture into ovals.
- Working in batches, coat ovals with flour, knocking off excess, then dip in egg, letting excess drip off, and roll in crumbs to coat.
- ransfer to a wax paper–lined baking pan as coated.
- Cook croquettes: Cut remaining 2 sticks butter into 1-inch pieces and melt in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Remove from heat and let stand 3 minutes.
- Skim froth and slowly pour butter into a 10-inch heavy skillet, leaving milky solids in bottom of saucepan.
- Discard milky solids.
- Heat butter over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook croquettes about 6 at a time, turning, until golden brown all over, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi all - I have been member of Recipezaar for a while now. I work as an executive assistant. I love to read - read everything, but scifi/fantasy is a particular favorite. Am actually a pretty easily amused and satisfied soul....am pretty much happy all the time.