Savory Southern Fried Seasoning
photo by The Spice Guru
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons celery, salt
- 2 tablespoons ground sage
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground leaf thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground mace or 3/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 3⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/8 TEASPOON IS 1/4 TEASPOON PLUS ONE-HALF OF 1/4 TEASPOON. TO PREPARE A SINGLE BATCH OF FRIED CHICKEN OR TWO BATCHES PORK CHOPS OR CHICKEN FRIED STEAK, FOLLOW THIS RECIPE: 1 tablespoon fine sea salt, 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons celery salt, 2 teaspoons ground sage, 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar, 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme, 1.4 teaspoon ground mace (or 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg), 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Shake mixture well in a resealable container with 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch.
- GRIND fennel seeds, rosemary leaf, and thyme, separately in a clean spice mill or coffee grinder, as finely as possible (for best grinding results, use 4 tablespoons of each).
- MEASURE all recipe ingredients into a medium resealable container then seal.
- SHAKE container well until thoroughly blended (if necessary, break up any clumps by pressing mixture with the back of a spoon, then re-seal and shake mixture again).
- STORE tightly sealed in a cool, dry place away from light.
- FOR FRIED CHICKEN BREADING: Measure 1 3/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/3 level cup of this seasoning in a resealable container. Seal and shake well. If double-breading chicken, add an another 5 teaspoons flour and 1 teaspoon cornstarch to breading.
- FOR CHICKEN FRIED STEAK OR PORK CHOP BREADING: Measure 7/8 cup of flour (3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons), 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and 8 teaspoons (2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons) of this seasoning into a resealable container. Seal and shake well. If double-breading chicken fried steak or pork chops, add an another 5 teaspoons flour and 1 teaspoon cornstarch to breading.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Mathematician... Metaphysician... Magician in a test kitchen