Savory One-Pot Chicken and Brown Rice
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- Salt and pepper chicken to taste.
- In a big dutch oven that has a lid, heat oil then place the chicken thighs skin side down in the hot oil. Brown, then turn pieces over and brown the other side. Approx 5-6 min per side.
- Remove all but 1-2 TBS of the fat from bottom of pot. Add the onion and celery pieces. Put lid on pot and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- Add the carrots and the bay leaf, 1 3/4 cup water and rice. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low. Put lid back on and cook for 40 to 45 minutes until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
- Turn off heat, let pot sit covered for 10 minutres.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The meat was moist and tender and the flavor was great. I did add a little garlic powder but I think next time I will just add a few cloves of garlic. Also a little lemon would be wonderful. I did cook it for 1 hour at the end and some of the rice was not done. I think it would be better to precook the rice and then add at the end. I will definitely make this again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in a small city in southwest Virginia. We have been here for 22 years and love being near the mountains. I have three kids that keep me busy 24/7. I love cooking for my husband, but am constantly battling the picky eating kids at mealtime. I originally joined when this site was called recipeZaar to put my recipes into meal menus to rotate on a regular basis. Hopefully, to take the brainwork out of food shopping, menu planning and preparation. The problem is that I have found so many new recipes I want to try here I am going to end up with 100 menus! I guess that isn't so bad, variety is a good thing.