Savory Chicken Patties in Creamy Paprika-Sour Cream Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned lightly with salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 cups breadcrumbs, fresh
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon paprika, premium quality Hungarian
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cognac or 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream, dairy type
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces noodles, cooked, curly wide egg type
- Form chicken into 4 oval patties about 1/2" thick. Dredge patties in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, gently pressing breadcrumbs on. Place on a rack and chill in refrigerator for about 30 minutes or 15 minutes in a blast chiller.
- Combine about 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a saute pan. When bubbly, add breaded chicken patties. Saute until golden. Flip. Saute until golden. Remove to an oven safe dish. Add more butter and oil if needed during sauteing. Finish cooking patties in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Test with a meat thermometer for doneness. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Make a roux with the butter and flour in a small saucepan. Allow to bubble gently over low heat, about 2 - 3 minutes, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Add paprika, thyme, chicken stock, heavy cream, cognac or sherry and lemon juice, whisking constantly. Allow the mixture to come up to a boil, reduce heat and allow to thicken, about 2 - 3 minutes. Thin if needed with additional chicken stock. Remove from heat. Add sour cream and blend thoroughly. Keep warm, but do not allow to boil.
- Place cutlets on a bed of cooked egg noodles, pour sauce over all and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!