Savory Chanterelle Bread Pudding
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cleaned and sliced chanterelle mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 cups bread cubes (1-inch cubes of firm, rustic French- or Italian-style bread)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon lemon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Saute mushrooms and onion in oil until about 3/4 done, 3-4 minutes. Add celery and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds, until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Toss bread cubes with mushroom mixture, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Whisk together half-and-half, milk, eggs and egg yolks. Pour over bread and mushrooms, and toss to combine.
- Butter a 6 qt glass or ceramic baking dish, or spray with non-stick spray. Pour bread pudding into dish, leveling off the top. Bake in preheated oven 50-60 minutes, until the center is barely set. (Do not overcook, or the custard will scramble.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!