Sausage-Pumpkin Cornbread Stuffing
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 2 jalapenos, minced (with seeds)
- 2 corn muffins or (8 1/2 ounce) packages cornbread mix, prepared and crumbled (10 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 14 ounces chicken broth or 14 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh sage or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried sage
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage and jalapenos, breaking up the meat and cooking until it is no longer pink; drain the fat.
- Add the cornbread.
- Fold in the pumpkin, broth, cranberries, and sage (Can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- For drier stuffing, omit the broth.
Join The Conversation
This stuffing is delicious! The cornbread and pumpkin make for a sweeter dish, but the spiciness from the jalapenos combats the sweetness well. Next time, I will probably use spicy Italian sausage to amp up the heat-factor. If you wanted to leave out the sausage altogether, the stuffing would make a delicious dessert, almost like a bread pudding.