Sausage, Peppers, Onions Parmesan Sandwich
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 3 lbs hot Italian sausage or 3 lbs sweet Italian sausage links
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 3 yellow bell peppers or 3 green peppers, cut into strips
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 8 italian sandwich buns, split
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Place sausage in 350 degree oven and brown for 30 minutes.
- Drain grease.
- Add garlic, onions, peppers, crushes tomatoes and paste.
- Stir in seasoning and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
- Toast rolls fill with sausage, peppers and onions.
- Top with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle parmesan cheese.
- Place under broiler till bubble and lightly browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this once before and my wife just loved it. Just made it again tonight. The proportions are a little off in that 2 1/2 pounds of sweet sausage filled the 9 by 13 pan. I wondered how I would be able to fit the peppers, onions and mushrooms in. Oh, did I mention that I put in a 12 ounce box of Baby Bella mushrooms. And I also mixed the color,. 2 green, 1 reddish and 2 yellow peppers, one of which was a hot pepper. Not intentional, but I think they got mixed up at the market. My wife said it was hot, but was taken care of by rice and pepsi. We did not serve over rolls, but I put mozzarella on top for the 10 minutes or so. Fortunately we have a corningware dutch oven with a big glass lid. It's 4 quarts and this almost made it to the top. If we had a crowd, would do just nicely. But for two this will be great for three days or so.
I loved this recipe! Nice change of pace when you're craving Italian but don't want to do pasta. I also adjusted the recipe a bit for my family of 4- cutting most ingredients to about 1/2 but I left the garlic, seasoning and cheese alone. Hot Italian sausage is the way to go for us. Gives it the kick it needs. YUM. Thanks for the recipe!
These are great and so easy! I cut down the ingredients a bit by using 2 lb of sausage, 1 onion, 2 bell peppers and 2 cups tomatoes, but added the jalapeno as suggested and still had more than enough for six sandwiches! I also cooked the sausage and up to step 5 on top of the stove in a big skillet without any problems and used a bit more mozzarella (about double) and no parmesan. Thanks for sharing!