Sausage Mushroom Ragu and Rigatoni
- Ready In:
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta or 1 lb whole wheat rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk Italian sausage (hot or sweet)
- 4 large portabella mushroom caps, wiped clean and chopped in 1-inch dice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- black pepper
- 5 -6 sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup grated pecorino romano cheese, plus some to pass at the table
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil; add salt and pasta; cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil over med-high heat in a large, deep skillet with high sides.
- When the oil ripples, add the sausage and crumble/brown for 5 minutes.
- Remove sausage to a bowl.
- Drain off fat, then add the remaining oil to the skillet; add the mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes; then add the onions and garlic.
- Season with salt, pepper, and sage; cook to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beef stock and tomatoes and return the sausage to the sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a bubble, reduce heat to med-low; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot; toss with 2 cups of sauce and the cheese.
- Mound portions of pasta in shallow bowls and top with more sausage mushroom sauce; pass additional cheese at the table.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!