I was wanting to try a new recipe, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I created this. So glad, because it's a HUGE hit! Even my picky child and husband love it, and are requesting more! Another fall hit!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I cut a sliver of skin off the middle of the.
back sides of the cut squash to "give it legs" (so that when it's right-side up and stuffed it doesn't roll around). Spray squash with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and roast 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring water to boil. Add pinch of salt and both rice, and stir. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
3. Preheat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink and crumbled. Remove from pan and drain.
4. Add olive oil to pan and next 8 ingredients. Saute until tender, 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Combine cooked rice, sausage, and vegetable mix in large bowl. Add cranberries and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Toss to combine. Add beaten egg and toss until thoroughly coated.
6. Stuff cavities of squash with filling and mound on top to use all filling. Cover and bake 30 minutes, until stuffing is almost set. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake uncovered to melt, another 10 minutes.
7. Allow to cool and enjoy!
**EDIT**: I did my prep while stuff was cooking, so I just put total time, start to finish (including prepping the squash), under cooking time. And another side note, I have some awesome pictures and having issues downloading them.