Italian Sausage & Rice Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I found the original of this recipe on Allrecipes.com. I changed it quite a bit to suit our tastes. The kids like it, too!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, cut in small pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) package chicken noodle soup mix
- 3 1⁄2 cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Saute sausage, onion and red pepper until sausage is no longer pink and the onion, celery and red pepper has softened.
- Drain off fat.
- Put sausage mixture in a 2 quart ovenproof casserole.
- Stir in rice, soup mix and water.
- Bake, covered, at 325 F.
- for 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This recipe is a hit. I cut up Italian hot sausage links (this is what I had on hand) added some pepper and a blend of green herbs (rosemary, thyme,marjoran, sage, savory, basil, oregano) and wow it was terrific. Next time I have to double the batch, it was that good. Thank you for the quick and tasty recipe.2Reply
The flavor of this casserole was quite good, the texture was just not my favorite I am afraid. I used hot italian sausage a little bit of yelloe pepper along with the red and a few chopped mushrooms that needed using. The flavor intensified once warmed up which was a pleasant surprise. I do believe this would make a lovely pot luck dish.Reply
So I was looking for a way to use up a pound of turkey kielbasa, and this seemed like a good idea. Did I say good? I meant incredible! I used half of a large onion, 3 stalks of celery, and added about 1/3 each of yellow and orange peppers to the red. Like vivmom, I didn't have soup mix, but I did have the gelatinous goodness leftover from baked chicken, about a cup-full. I added another 1.5 cup of water to that, since I used thin basmathi rice, and it was a bit too liquidy. The dish sat in my warm oven for about an hour before it was served, and both my parents, who rarely eat a full plate, had seconds! I'm so glad I have leftovers!1Reply
see 11 more