Sauerkraut With Bacon, Potato and Caraway
I have been making this for years. I got the idea from a recipe in the old Joy of Cooking and just modified from there. This is great comfort food
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 quart sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, raw and grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- Saute bacon until crisp.
- remove bacon to drain, reserving fat in pan.
- saute onion in bacon fat until browned.
- add sauerkraut and saute for 5 minutes; add potato, chicken stock, reserved bacon, black pepper and caraway.
- Bring to a boil and simmer on lowest heat for 20 minutes- stirring frequently, then cover and simmer for an additional 30 minutes- stirring every 10 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION