photo by AmandaInOz
- Ready In:
- 1 kg unsalted peanuts
- 2 inches shrimp paste
- 30 dried chilies
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces tamarind pulp
- 4 ounces palm sugar
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Toast Peanuts till golden brown. careful not to burn. Blend untill you get a mix of small chunks of peanuts and some fine peanut powder.
- grill or toast shrimp paste (belacan) then blend with steamed dried chillies,
- mix coconut milk with 4 cups water.
- mix tamarind with 1 cup water . strain.
- scrape gula melaka into pan. add sugar, belacan and blended chilly paste, tamarind juice and half peanuts,
- cook over moderate heat stirring constantly for 4 min, stir in coconut milk and bring to boil and simmer stirring for 3 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I won't give this any stars because the recipe seems to be missing a few instructions/ingredients, so I'm not sure if my finished product is anywhere near the intentions of the recipe. I roasted the peanuts, then blended in a food processor. Next I steamed the dried chilies, and I stuck to the recipe from there. The only other change I made: there is grated coconut mentioned in the instructions but not the ingredient list, so I just left it out. Though the recipe is slightly ambiguously written, the final product is very tasty. I love belacan and tamarind, and I really liked the dimension and flavour they brought to this recipe. I served with grilled chicken and cucumber slices, and we enjoyed it very much. Malaysian Chef, if you update the recipe with the missing instructions/ingredients, I'd be happy to make it again and re-rate it. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I grew up in malaysia for 24 years. Now residing in Orlando florida. I love to cook. everybody calls me a cookaholic. I have many Malaysian authentic recipes passed down from my mother who is a great cook!. Hope you will enhjoy them!