Sardine and Potato Bake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This actually comes from Southern France and it is highly influenced by the Liguria region of Italy. In fact, it is difficult to say which region is home to this recipe. Posted for ZWT3.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 lbs sardines, cleaned with heads and tails removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for oiling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped (fresh)
- 12 ounces tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mixed herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, etc.)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of water, until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool.
- When cooled, slice potatoes into 1/4" rounds.
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare sardines by slitting through the belly lengthwise. Turn so that skin is facing upwards and press down on backbone. Turn over and remove backbone.
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and add onion and garlic. Sauté until softened.
- Arrange the potatoes in a well-oiled casserole dish and sprinkle with the onion mixture, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the open sardines (skin side down) on top of the potatoes and cover with tomato slices and other herbs.
- Pour wine over all. Cook uncovered at 300F for about 45 minutes, until fish is tender. If casserole is dry, add additional wine (by the tablespoon).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
First of all, this went over very well with my family. My husband was in awe of the fact that it didn't taste fishy. Maybe it's the wine? We are not such wine experts. I used dry semi-sweet because that's what I had on hand. For herbs, I used parsley, syrian oregano (za'atar) and tarragon. I have two criticisms. One: Prep time took me a good deal more than 15 min. Two: The parsley should have been listed seperately since it is sprinkled on at an earlier stage from the rest of the herbs. Still, this recipe deserves 5 stars since it is truely a special find for people interested in healthy eating, omega 3 and tastey food.Reply