Sarah's Amazing Vegetarian Lasagna
photo by I Cook Therefore I
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 15 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- 4 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 (8 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet until shimmering.
- Add onion, eggplant, and mushrooms to skillet. Cook for 15 minutes, or until all ingredients are soft.
- Add carrot, wine, parsley, tomato sauce, and whole tomatoes to skillet. Break up tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Add oregano, parsley, and basil to the sauce.
- Simmer sauce uncovered for about an hour and a half, or until thick.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread about 1/4 of the sauce in the bottom of the pan. (About 1 1/4 cups).
- Layer 4 of the lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Dot the noodles with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of the mozzarella over the ricotta and noodles.
- Spread 1/2 cups of the Parmesan over the mozzarella.
- Repeat steps 7-11 two more times.
- Spread the last of the sauce over the Parmesan, and then spread the last of the Parmesan and mozzarella over the sauce to prevent it from burning.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbling.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The flavor of the lasagna was excellent. I followed the directions exactly, but there wasn't enough sauce. And I think cooking it for 1 hr 15 is too long. The end result was a thin, kinda crunchy lasagna. (Adding spaghetti sauce over the top and reheating it helped moisten it back up.) The flavor was great, so I'm going to try again and double the quantities in the sauce. I'll let you know how that goes.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I've lived in Tucson for about five years now, and the experience has been great for my palate! For those of you that don't know, Tucson is a culinary Mecca; tons of amazing flavors, foods, and restaurants to investigate. The above photo is a picture of my husband and I on our wedding day. He's the light of my life, and the main reason I'm glad I moved out here to the desert because I never would have met him if I hadn't!! To top it off, he's a great eater. It doesn't matter what I make, even if he doesn't like it he tells me between bites. (haha!) He loves my obsession with the Zaar because he's been eating really well since I started with the site. We recently bought our first house which is a starter home that we are working very hard on remodeling. Anyone with free advice for newbie homeowners lemme know because it has been a whirlwind!! I am currently a full time employee at the UofA (GO WILDCATS!) and I love my job and the people that I work with. I am also a part time student seeking a Masters degree in Administration. I can't wait to be finished so that I can relax for a little while, cook, work on my house, and play with my two beautiful children who are pictured below (yes I'm aware that they are dogs, but they are OUR kids!!) The one on the left is our little blue heeler mix that we call Rumplestiltzkin (Bumpy for short) and the one on the left is the sweetest Chow Retriever Mix you'll ever meet. His name is Gaizen. The picture of the two dippy looking people on Segways is one of my husband and I in Disney World this last October. We were soooo lucky to beable to go on the segway tour it was loads of fun! The cutie patutie right beside us is my little niece Rylee who I don't get to see nearly enough since my sister live in Ohio. She's couldn't be sweeter if you spread icing on her. The picture of the cake is one that I made for my DH's 27th birthday because he loves fish tanks. Anyone that wants the ingredients and how to build it lemme know it's really easy!! My Rating System: 5 stars-RUN don't walk to your grocery store, buy the ingredients and make this! 4 stars-Great recipe and I want to try it again but would probably make changes to it 3 stars-Pretty good recipe that I liked but probably will only make occasionally I don't like to give less than three stars because everyone is different and has different taste buds. I also will not give a recipe less than four stars if I myself made changes to the recipe and then didn't like the way it turned out. If I screw a recipe up entirely (I have been known to do this especially with baked goods) I don't bother even rating it. The one thing that is really hard to say here at the Zaar is "I will definitly make this again" not because soooo many recipes that I have tried are not worthy of making again, but because there are so many more out there that I haven't tried yet! Every time I think of repeating one of my favorites I find myself on here about to look it up, and then finding something just as interesting, unique, and delicious sounding that I just have to try!! <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif"> <img src="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/222/511934835_9dc466e9a4_o.gif"> <a href="http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2615117960101094834lSUnIG"><img src="http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/3371/2615117960101094834S425x425Q85.jpg" alt="100_0499"></a> <a href="http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2169702170101094834MvnIXR"><img src="http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/4704/2169702170101094834S425x425Q85.jpg" alt="segways"></a> <a href="http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2370200530101094834irjqOJ"><img src="http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/2607/2370200530101094834S200x200Q85.jpg" alt="rylee"></a> <a href="http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2499141710101094834tsCHNl"><img src="http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/4485/2499141710101094834S425x425Q85.jpg" alt="dan's cake"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/tlonghorn/banners/BBQ2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>