Salvadoran Turkey Sandwiches
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups light beer
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons pepitas (dried pumpkin seeds) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon annatto seeds
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 lbs turkey drumsticks (about 2 large drumsticks)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 small yellow onions, 1 chopped, 1 thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 6 crusty Italian rolls, about 6-inch long
- 1 bunch watercress
- Preheat oven to 350°. Purée beer, oil, peppercorns, sesame seeds, pepitas, oregano, annatto, garlic, bay leaves, and 1 cup water in a blender. Combine purée and turkey in a dutch oven; season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil on the stove, cover, and bake until turkey is very tender, about 2 hours.
- Purée tomatoes, chopped onions, peppers, and 1 cup water in blender. Transfer turkey to a plate (leave sauce in pot); let cool. Add purée to pot; boil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until thickened, about 45 minutes. Discard skin and bones from turkey; tear meat into thick pieces. Stir turkey into sauce, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide stew between loaves; garnish with sliced onions and watercress.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love to cook, but hate to measure ... so I pretty much guess at everything :) </p> 114807933"