Saltah (Ground Beef or Lamb Stew)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds, paste (hulbah, and 2 tbsp zhug)
- Heat oil in 3 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add meat and onions; cook, stirring often for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, salt, pepper and broth.
- Bring to boil on high heat, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 hour or until meat and potatoes are well cooked, adding water if necessary.
- Stir in eggs and cilantro.
- Cook 2 more minutes, remove from heat and stir in zhug and hulbah.
- Zhug is a middle eastern pesto and hulbah in fenugreek paste.
- Purchase them in Middle Eastern grocery stores.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!