Salt and Pepper Prawns (Shrimp)
A great fingerfood dish for parties or serve as an entree. You can use regular ground peppercorns ground chinese sichuan peppercorns if you prefer This recipe is wheat and gluten free
- Ready In:
- 24 medium green prawns (about 1.4 kilos)
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon flaked sea salt
- 1 -2 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
- Peel, devein and butterfly the prawns, leaving the tails intact.
- Combine the flour salt and 2 teaspoons of the ground peppercorns in a large bowl. Add prawns and toss to coat in the flour mixture. Shake off the excess flour from each prawn.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frypan until very hot. Cook prawns in small batches for about 2 minutes or until crisp. Transfer prawns to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the salt flakes with the remaining teaspoon of ground peppercorns.
- Place prawns on a serving plate and sprinkle with the salt & pepper mix. Serve with lemon wedges.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Excellent!!!!! I served this with "My Thai Sesame Noodles, Recipe #413122". If you dont have rice flour do not fret. I substituted 3/4 cup all purpose flour and 2 tbs. corn starch and it came out perfect. I would watch how much salt you use. I will cut back a little on this, but otherwise a very good recipe. Wouldn't change anything, but dont be afraid if you need to do a substitution.
My favourite so far in ZWT Asia! Absolutely amazing thanks Julie, just the way we like Asian food - simple but with flavour. I DID use ground Chinese Szechuan peppercorns, as I love the fragrant peppery taste that they impart in food, and they made the prawns sing in this recipe. I served these for a light lunch with Recipe #415971, Recipe #413122 and Recipe #179839. Made as posted and very much enjoyed. Merci FT:-) Made for the Cheese and Whine Gang.