Salsa Verde Roasted and Canned
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 lbs tomatillos, cut into half
- 2 habanero peppers, seeds and all
- 4 green chili peppers
- 2 onions, skin removed and halved
- 1 garlic, bulb
- 2 limes, cut in half
- 1 1 cup fresh parsley (I used all three) or 1 cup fresh basil (I used all three)
- 1⁄4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat grill or broiler to high. Remove husks and wash the tomatillos and cut in half. Place the tomatillos, chili`s, onion, unpeeled garlic bulb, and lime halves on grates of grill or a cookie sheet pan put under the preheated broiler until the tomatillos are roasted and the chili`s peppers are slightly charred on all sides. Rotate the ingredients during cooking to make sure all sides are charred and remove each as they get chard. Cool all and then peel the chili`s (only remove seeds if heat is not desired) and garlic (you may have to squeeze the soft garlic out of the skin) and remove any extremely charred skin from the tomatillo, and onions is just fine! Cut the onions into 1/4`s.
- Squeeze the limes into the food processor and add all remaining charred veggies, pulsing 4 to 6 times till combined.
- In a large stainless saucepan combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium high heat, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Ladle hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims, center lids and screw on band to fingertip tight.
- Place jars in canner, cover and bring canner to a boil.
- Process for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove lid of canner and let jars sit for 5 additional minutes. Remove jars, cool, label and store.
- Use in 1 year. Store opened jars in the refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!