Salsa Verde Chicken With Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From Pam Anderson's Perfect One-Dish Dinners
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 15 ounces salsa verde or 2 cups salsa verde
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 large rotisserie-cooked chicken, meat shredded in large chunks or 6 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion top
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Chicken: Heat butter over medium-high heat in a large (11 – 12 inch), deep ovenproof skillet or 5-6 quart Dutch oven.
- Whisk in flour to make a paste.
- Mix broth, salsa verde, and evaporated milk and whisk in all at once. Whisk, vigorously at first, until mixture simmers and thickens to sauce consistency.
- Stir in chicken, heat through, and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dumplings: Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan until steamy.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, scallions, and cilantro in a medium bowl with a fork. Stir in milk mixture to form a smooth, firm dough.
- Pinch off Ping-Pong-ball-size peices of dough with your fingers and drop onto chicken mixture.
- Return chicken to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Cover and transfer pan to oven and bake until dumplings are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION