Salmon with Mustardy Celeriac Mash
- Ready In:
- 2 (4 ounce) salmon fillets, about
- 25 ounces celeriac, peeled to remove all the knobbly skin and cut into chunks like potato
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Brush the salmon lightly with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Line a grill pan with foil and lay the salmon on top.
- Place the celeriac in a pan with cold water to cover.
- Salt and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until tender.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Whisk the mustard, lemon juice, a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper and 1 TBS olive oil together.
- Set aside.
- Grill the salmon for 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, drain the celeriac, reserving 1 TBS cooking water.
- Return the celeriac to the pan and mash until fairly smooth.
- Add the spinach, stirring occasionally over a low heat until wilted.
- Stir in the reserved cooking water and 1 TBS of the mustard dressing.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mash onto two warm plates.
- Top each with a salmon fillet and drizzle the remaining dressing over.
Join The Conversation
I'm so sorry to have not liked it because I was really optimistic that I would. I think it's mostly that I just must not like celeriac. If I make this again (after trying another 5 starred celeriac recipe...I'm not giving up on a new veggie that easily), I'm going to buy one about half the size (I weighed mine at the store) because it was over-powering, IMHO (now that I look at all the photos again, I see that I ended up with as much of the mash as Jenny did, which is more than in the other photos). I think I failed to cook it long enough and mash it well enough, so I'll correct that next time. The mustard sauce was very tasty, though, and I may continue to use that with salmon once in a while.
This is a perfect summer supper dish because it is so light and delicately flavoured. I made no change to the recipe, all worked fine. This was my first time with celeriac, too, and was so happy to find a new easy vegatable. I will make this for guests sometime, as it is so fast and easy, perfect for a dinner party.