photo by gailanng
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained. (I usually use fresh sliced mushrooms, about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and egg; shape into 4 oval patties, each about 3/4-inch thick.
- Cook patties in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, broth and mushrooms. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is done, about 10 minutes. (I usually start boiling the water for homemade mashed potatoes at this time and the steaks will be ready by the time you get the mashed potatoes ready).
- When patties are done, remove them from skillet. Keep warm.
- Heat onion mixture to boiling. Mix water and cornstarch; stir into onion mixture. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Serve over patties and mashed potatoes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent, quick to put together & so flavorful. I sautéed the onions until caramelized first & then made the rest of the recipe, I think it imparted more onion flavor into the gravy. Served with recipe # 330590 (using cheddar cheese). I would love to make this again with some fresh sliced mushrooms, otherwise, wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for sharing!
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!