Saibhaji(Spinach With Lentil)-A Classic Indian(Sindhi) Dish.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 10 ounces spinach, chopped.frozen pack..thawed
- 2 red onions, chopped finely. (Large)
- 2 tomatoes, diced. (Medium)
- 1 cup channa dal, .available in indian grocery store (Gram split Lentil)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (as per your taste.)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper or 4 -6 serrano chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mango powder or 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill (optional)
- In A Bowl mix chanadal with 2 cups water rinse dal using your hand to get rid of any starch or residue on dal two to three times changing and rinsing out the water.Than let it soak in 2 cups water for 30 minutes.Set it aside.
- Grease A stockpot bottom with 2 teaspoon oil,spread a layer of onions,top with a layer of just chanadal(Not the Water),top that with layer of diced tomatoes,repeat layers until finished.Add Ginger,Cayenne pepper or Serrano chillies,salt,turmeric powder and thawed spinach and Dill(if you are using it).Add the water in which dal (Lentils)was soaked,add more water if needed to bring water level just above the level of ingredients.Cover cook on medium high for 35-40 minutes.
- Uncover the pot give a thorough stir,check if lentil is so tender that it could be mashed easily,if not add water if needed,stir cook for another 10-15 minutes on medium heat.Uncover,using a whisk mash every thing gently not to make a paste just to crumble lentil a bit.Taste add salt,pepper if needed,add mango powder or lime juice,mix it well,lower the heat to low.
- In a frying pan heat the remaining 2 teaspoon oil on medium high,add garlic.
- stirring until garlic golden brown but not burnt(As burnt garlic will give bitter taste),add it to the main dish,stir,heat it covered half way on medium high heat until water has evaporated. Serve with Basmati Rice,Chapati with side of peeled and sliced radishes.(In India we seve it with Muli).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!