Sage Meat Loaf
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage (or ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, not packed down
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Crush saltine crackers in ziplock bag with mallet or rolling pin until finely crushed.
- Combine the first 9 ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Place and form meat loaf into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients and spread over top of meat loaf.
- Bake 15-20 minutes longer, until thermometer reads 160°F
- Let meat stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this for mine and my SO's dinner on 12/28/12. I did add some seasoned salt and a bit of garlic powder as I was mixing together the rest of the ingredients. I never use a loaf pan when making meatloaf, it's just always free-formed. But the baking time was " Spot On ".. I do think that the amount of sage was just right and the leftovers made a very good sandwich. Thanks for posting and " Keep Smiling :) "