Sage Chicken and Dumplings
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 7 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- saute onion, carrot, potatoes, and sage in oil on med heat until their liquid has evaporated and they have started to brown.
- add thyme, poultry seasoning, and flour and saute a couple more minutes.
- add stock and salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- add chicken breasts and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- use tongs to remove chicken breasts and leave on cutting board to cool.
- add parsley to the pot.
- make dumpling dough by mixing flour, baking powder, salt and sage with a fork.
- add shortening and mix with fork until crumbly.
- add milk and mix until just combined.
- check broth for seasoning and check that potatoes are tender.
- shred chicken with your hands and return to pot.
- add balls of dumpling dough to pot (not too big they will plump up quite a bit).
- Simmer for 10 minutes then carefully flip dumplings and cook for another 8 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!