This is the perfect accompaniment to almost any Bengali style curry, especially Mama Roy's Daughter's Chicken Curry. It's cheap, comes together quickly, and can be customized with different kinds of protein if you want.
1) In a medium sized skillet or frying pan, heat up the canola oil on medium heat.
2) Add the generous pinch of black cumin seed (kala jeera - you can find this in most South Asian grocery stores). Stir around a little. There will be a small sizzle.
3) Add the dried chilies either whole or torn up. Stir until fragrant.
4) Add the whole bag of frozen spinach. No need to thaw. Toss and stir until the spinach softens.
5) Keep stirring the spinach until it is cooked to the consistency you prefer. Cook longer for a drier consistency. At this point, add salt to taste and stir/toss the spinach.
6) Total cook time should be somewhere between 10-15 minutes. You can serve this immediately, but this also heats up well. My mother also makes this with shrimp, which you would add prior to the spinach. You could also mix in some fried up frozen shredded hash brown after the spinach is done.