Rutabaga (Swede) Pickle
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A fermented vegetable courtesy of Phickle.com. If you enjoy a more acidic pickle, feel free to let it ferment longer.
- Ready In:
- 120hrs 15mins
- 2 lbs rutabagas, preferably unwaxed (if you cannot find an unwaxed one, peel the rutabaga)
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt, dissolved into
- 1 cup water (room temperature)
- Remove any roots or ugly spots from your rutabaga/swede; scrub well.
- Grate rutabaga and thoroughly washed ginger; mix well.
- Pack the vegetable mixture into a 1 quart jar as you would sauerkraut, very tightly.
- Very slowly pour your brine over your rutabaga.
- Let the liquid seep in, then crush your rutabaga mixture back in tightly. Continue this process until you have a centimeter of brine on top of your rutabaga.
- Weigh the vegetables down with a weight of some sort (a baggie or smaller jar filled with water) and let ferment at room temperature, removing any bloom/scum as it forms.
- Your vegetables should be complete in about five days.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION