Rustic Plum (Fruit) Tart
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs plums, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup plum preserves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 0.5 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- sweet cream, topping (optional)
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper; coat parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together plums and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Unroll piecrust on prepared baking sheet. Roll into a 12-inch circle.
- Drain plum mixture, reserving liquid. Toss plums in flour.
- Mound plums in center of piecrust, leaving a 3-inch border. Fold piecrust border up and over plums, pleating as you go, leaving an opening about 5 inches wide in center.
- Stir together egg and 1 tablespoons water. Brush piecrust with egg mixture, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Carefully transfer tart on parchment paper to a wire rack; cool 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring reserved plum liquid to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let cool slightly. Brush or drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons hot plum liquid over exposed fruit in center of tart. Serve immediately with remaining plum syrup, and, if desired, Sweet Cream Topping.
- Sweet Cream Topping: Stir together 1/2 cup sour cream and 2 teaspoons brown sugar. Cover and chill 2 hours before serving. Stir just before serving.
- Peach-Nectarine Tart: White peaches won't work as well in this tart because of their delicate texture. Prepare recipe as directed, substituting 3/4 lb. peeled nectarines and 3/4 lb. peeled peaches for plums and peach preserves for plum preserves.
- Apricot-Almond Tart: Prepare recipe as directed, substituting fresh apricots for plums and apricot preserves for plum preserves. Omit allspice.
- Fresh Cherry Tart: Prepare recipe as directed, substituting 1 1/2 lb. fresh cherries, pitted, for plums and cherry preserves for plum preserves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!