Rustic Lemon-Raspberry Tart
photo by COOKGIRl
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 -7 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large lemons or 1 meyer lemon
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter, cooled before adding the eggs to the blender (if you don't let the butter cool, it could coddle the eggs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup fresh raspberry, washed, drained
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Crust: In a med-sized metal bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Add butter and cut into flour with pastry cutter until crumbs form and it resembles a course meal. Sprinkle with vinegar and water and knead gently until dough forms. Do not over-mix. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Processor method: Combine flour, salt and baking powder with cold butter, pulse briefly and add vinegar and water until combined (approx. 15-20 sec). Do not over-mix, or dough will be tough. Chill, as above.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Roll out dough to form a 13 1/2" circle (rough edges add character).
- Place into a 10 1/2" springform pan and press 1 1/2" up the sides of the pan. Set aside. Note: I don't own a springform pan and used instead my 9" Pyrex pie pan. I had no problems.
- Baker's Tip: roll out dough on floured plastic wrap for easy transfer to pan.
- Filling: Wash lemon well and slice off the ends, cut into eighths and remove seeds, but [*do not*] remove the rind.
- Add all filling ingredients to blender and blend well until liquefied, about 1 minute.
- Pour into unbaked tart shell.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 min, then lower temperature to 325 degrees and bake 30-40 more minutes (closer to 40 minutes for my tart), or until knife comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes or up to 1 hour. The longer it sits the firmer the tart will be and much easier to slice. I sliced the tart a half hour after removing from the oven and that was too soon.
- Top with fresh raspberries and if desired, a [light] dusting of powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!