Rustic Berry Tart
photo by MomLuvs6
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (see Ingredient note)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus 1 teaspoon for sprinkling
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup ice water, plus more as needed
- 1 large egg, separated (see Tip, save the white to glaze the pastry)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon white vinegar
FILLING and GLAZE
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds (1 ounce)
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour (regular or pastry flour)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar or 1/4 cup Splenda granular
- 4 cups mixed berries, such as blackberries, raspberries and blueberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons jam (raspberry, blueberry or blackberry jam)
TO PREPARE CRUST:
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces.
- Add oil and stir with a fork to blend.
- Mix 1/4 cup water, egg yolk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or vinegar) in a measuring cup.
- Add just enough of the egg yolk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork, until the dough clumps together. (Add a little water if the dough seems too dry.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times.
- Form the dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and coat with cooking spray.
TO PREPARE FILLING AND ASSEMBLE TART:
- Spread almonds in a small baking pan. Bake until light golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine whole-wheat flour, 1/4 cup sugar (or Splenda) and the toasted almonds in a food processor or blender; process until the almonds are ground.
- Roll the dough into a rough 13- to 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface, about 1/4 inch thick. Roll it back over the rolling pin, brush off excess flour, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread the almond mixture over the pastry, leaving a 2-inch border all around.
- Toss berries with the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar (or Splenda) and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a large bowl; spoon over the almond mixture.
- Fold the border up and over the filling, pleating as necessary.
- Blend the reserved egg white and 1 tablespoon water with a fork; brush lightly over the tart rim. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake the tart for 15 minutes at 425°F.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake until the crust is golden and the juices are bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Leaving the tart on the parchment (or foil), carefully slide it onto a wire rack. Let cool.
- Shortly before serving, melt jam in a small saucepan over low heat; brush over the berries.
- Cut the tart into wedges and serve.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare crust through Step 1; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- INGREDIENT NOTE: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
- TIP: To separate eggs safely: Use an egg separator, an inexpensive gadget found in cookware stores; separating eggs by passing the yolk back and forth between pieces of eggshell or your hands can expose the eggs to bacteria.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!