Russian Shepherd's Pie
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A meat and potato pie, serve veggies on the side.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 6 potatoes, about 2 pounds
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb ground beef (I use extra lean)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms, about 4 ounces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel potatoes; cut into chunks, put into saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain and return to pan; remove from heat.
- Add milk, butter and half of the salt and half of the pepper; mash with potato masher until smooth.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the flour and 1 of the eggs.
- Meanwhile, in large nonstick fry pan, saute beef over medium high heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off fat.
- Add onions, mushrooms, caraway seeds and remaining salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring, until onions are softened, 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining flour; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Spread half of the potato mixture in 8 inch square glass baking dish.
- Spoon meat mixture over top.
- Top with remaining potato mixture.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in 350F degrees oven until topping is golden, 30 to 40 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION