Russian Apple Cake (Sharlotka)
photo by Jessie D.
- Ready In:
- 6 small Granny Smith apples
- 3 table spoons brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- icing sugar, to serve
- double cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 175c and grease a 9x13 baking pan/dish (ceramic) with butter or margarine. Set aside.
- Peel, core and chop the apples. Place in a bowl and stir through brown sugar. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar on high for about 2 to 3 minutes, until light yellow, thickened and about tripled in size.
- Lower the speed to low and beat in the vanilla and flour.
- In a small bowl, quickly mix the baking soda and vinegar and add it to the batter. Mix batter gently.
- Arrange the chopped apples on the baking pan. Then pour batter over the apples.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes then cover with foil and bake for another 15-20 mins or until a knife comes out clean.
- Serve warm with some double cream or wait to cool and dust with icing sugar!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!