MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I found this recipe that was posted in our local newspaper about 4 years ago. These cookies have a delighful nutty flavor. They originated in Finland.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄4 cup coarse green sugar crystals
- 1⁄4 cup coarse white sugar crystals
- In a large mixing bowl in an electric mixer, add softened butter and beat on medium-high for 30 seconds.
- Add granulated sugar and beat until well combined with butter, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in rye flour and all-purpose flour on low speed until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add water, tossing mixtue with a fork until dough is moistened.
- Gently knead the dough until a ball forms.
- Roll dough out of the mixing bowl onto a lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to 1/8" thickness.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a 3 inch scalloped cookie cutter, cut out dough.
- Re-roll scraps and continue to cut with the cookie cutter.
- Using a smaller cookie cutter about 1 inch, cut a hole in the center of each cookie.
- Re-roll the holes and cut out again.
- Place cut out cookies on an ungreased, parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Using a fork, pierce each cut out cookie all over.
- Sprinkle cookies with a mixture of both green and white coarse sugars.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are firm and begin to brown on the edges.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in a container with lid.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION