Rouladen (beef roll ups)
photo by Lori Mama
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 4 -6 thinly sliced steak (some grocery stores will call it rouladen)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 -12 slices uncooked bacon, chopped (smoked bacon may be substituted)
- pickle, chopped (opptional)
- dry mustard
- 2 -3 beef bouillon cubes
- Pound steaks ,if necessary, to thin them out. Season with garlic, salt, pepper and mustard to your liking. Place chopped bacon, onions, and pickles down the center of the steaks and roll up. Tie with string.
- In large pot brown in vegetable oil, then add beef boullion and cover with water, let simmer for at least 3 hours. Add more water, if necessary, to keep them covered.
- Remove rouladen from pot and thicken liquid to make gravy. Season to taste. Return meat to pot and heat through.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or potato dumplings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We are stationed (US Air Force) in Germany right now and this is one of the first German dishes I made. The stores in Germany actually sell rouladen meat already sliced so if you can find it, use it. The pickles are what make this such a unique dish so I recommend adding them. This is definitely a unique dish but it is a nice change of pace.
see 1 more reviews