Rotel Tomatoes - Homemade Copycat
photo by saylor76
- Ready In:
- Place in 4 quart saucepan, and simmer until reduced to 1 quart.
- (Measure 1 quart water into saucepan in advance, and mark on outside of pan, to help you judge).
- The cans at the grocers are 10oz in size, so freeze in 1 cup portions.
- This way you can adjust the hot peppers to suit yourself, and making small batches is so easy!
- Remember, freezing makes the peppers hotter.
Have never seen Rotel tomatoes here in a can so you can imagine that I was very pleased to find this recipe. So easy to make and great taste. Used some for a pastasauce, a casserole and a chili. One batch I just had as it was, as a sauce over rice one day when I was too hurried to make anything "elaborate". This will certainly be made again when I run out of my freezer-stored batches, want to have it on hand. Thanks for posting.
I didn't realize Rotel would be so simple to make. My husband eats a 'store bought' can almost every day. He says it's better than rotel. A great way to use up summer tomatoes. I did can instead of freezing ( Water bath for 15 minutes). Also when cooking down the juice, I just cooked until it looked right. It was perfect.
I am searching for a recipe to make RoTel tomatoes, since we use so many cans of RoTels in our cooking but this recipe seems to be lacking in ingredients. I would think it would have more than tomatoes and jalapenos in it, so I will continue my search unless anyone here has a tried and true recipe to share.