Rosemary Scalloped Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 4 yukon gold potatoes (2 lb/1 kg total)
- 2 sweet potatoes (1 lb/500 g total)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup butter (75 mL)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour (75 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 mL)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled (4 mL)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (2 mL)
- 3 3⁄4 cups milk (925 mL)
- Sauce: In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook flour, salt, rosemary and pepper, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook, whisking constantly, until boiling and thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice Yukon Gold and sweet potatoes. Layer half of the Yukon Gold potatoes in greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish; spread with half of the onion. Layer with sweet potatoes then remaining onion and Yukon Gold potatoes. Pour sauce over top.
- Cover with greased foil; bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 1 hour. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; bake, uncovered, until lightly browned and tender, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a now vegan who used to make one heck of a souvlaki. I love cooking, I was a huge fan of Moosewood and Molly Katzen prior to going vegan (although that has nothing to do with my choosing the name Katzen - that's just what my German Grandma has called me all my life.) Aside from cooking, I also love scuba diving, cycling, politics, and reading.