Rosemary Potato Galette
Be sure to serve this pretty potato tart whole, and slice it into wedges and slice it in front of everyone at the table. Everone will be enchanted! Adapted from The New Basics Cookbook. West, Mid West, French
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 4 idaho potatoes (8 ounces each)
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (or 2 tsp. fresh)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Peel the potatoes and slice them really thin, dropping the slices into a bowl of cold water as you go along. When they are all sliced, drain and pat dry.
- Melt 2 tbls. of the butter in a 10" nonstick skillet. Swirl the butter to coat the surface; then remove the skillet from the heat. Arrange 1/3 of the potato slices in a spiral, starting in the center and overlapping, so that the bottom of the skillet is covered.
- Cut 2 tbls. of the butter into small pieces and sprinkle them over the potatoes. Then sprinkle the potatoes with 1/2 teaspoons of the rosemary,1/2 tsp of the parsley, 1/4 teaspoons of the thyme, and salt and pepper. Repeat, making 2 more layers of potates, butter, and seasonings, pressing each layer down with a spatula.
- Place the skillet over medium low heat, and cook until the bottom is crisp and golen brown, 45 minutes. Then invert the galette onto a flat plate and slip it back into the skillet. Continue cooking until the other side is golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Invert the galette agaiin onto a serving platter. Cut it into wedges and serve immediately. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
The potato is revered in Iceland & now so is this recipe. This may take a little more time than some potato recipes, but is spec enough to be worth every moment. I took 1 shortcut in the prep + added Parmesan cheese & garlic. I found it easier to melt the butter, mix it w/the herbs & cheese to assemble the galette & then use my pastry brush to evenly spread the mixture in all layers. Worked like a charm & we loved the outcome! I think this would surely be good w/layers of caramelised onions or mushrooms as well. This is company-worthy & a definite keeper for us. Pls see my rating system. Thx for posting.