Rose Elliot's Banana Curry With Cashew Rice (Veggie)
- Ready In:
- 500 g potatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, cored, deseeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crusted
- 5 g curry leaves
- 4 bananas, large under-ripe, sliced
- 300 ml water
- 75 g coconut cream, cut into small pieces
- 4 teaspoons tamarind paste
- salt and pepper
- 300 g basmati rice
- 125 g roasted cashew nuts, chopped
- Put the potatoes into a saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 mintes until just tender - drain.
- Meanwile heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and peppers, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Boil your basamati rice until soft and fluffy, set aside keeping it warm.
- Add the mustard seeds, stirring over the heat for a minute or two until they start to pop, then stir in the turmeric, ginger, garlic and curry leaves and cook for a furter minute or two.
- Stir in the drained potatoes and the bananas, then add the water, coconut cream and tamarind paste.
- Bring to the boil, then leave to cook gently for 5-10 minutes until the sauce is thick and the flavours blended - season with salt and pepper.
- Quickly add the cashews to the rice and fork through, then serve the rice and curry together on a warmed plate.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!