Root Vegetables With Garlic and Beef Tenderloin
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 20 -25 garlic cloves, unpeeled (or 2 large bulbs of garlic)
- 3 -4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (with 2 tablespoons butter, more as needed)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef tenderloin or 1 1/2 lbs sirloin steaks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- seasoning salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release flovors)
- 3 teaspoons dried sage
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine (can use more)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth or (14 ounce) cans beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 -3 small rutabagas, peeled and chopped
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the garlic: toss the unpeeled garlic cloves in melted butter and place on a small baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until beginning to brown; set aside to cool.
- When cool enough to remove the skins, peel the skins from the cloves (this can be done well in advance).
- In a large pot over medium-high heat melt about 2 tablespoon butter with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the beef with seasoning salt (or white salt) and pepper then dust/sprinkle (do not coat in the flour) with about 2-3 tablespoons flour; add to the pot and saute about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the beef to a bowl or plate.
- Add in more oil if needed and saute the chopped onions with the thyme and sage.
- Add in all veggies including the peeled garlic cloves with beef broth and wine; cover and simmer until firm-tender (about 20-30 minutes).
- Return the beef to the pot with any juices from the plate or bowl; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons water with 2 tablespoon flour, and pour into simmering juice; stir with wooden spoon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!